Bad News for Labour
Antisemitism, the Party and Public Belief
This book clears the confusion by drawing on deep and original research on public beliefs and media representation of antisemitism and the Labour Party, revealing shocking findings of misinformation spread by the press, including the supposedly impartial BBC, and the liberal Guardian.
Bringing in discussions around the IHRA definition, anti-Zionism and Israel/Palestine, as well as including a clear chronology of events, this book is a must for anyone wanting to find out the reality behind the headlines.
Greg Philo is a Professor at Glasgow University, and Research Director of the Glasgow Media Group. He is the author, with Mike Berry, of More Bad News from Israel (Pluto, 2011), and Israel and Palestine (Pluto 2006), and co-author, with Emma Briant and Pauline Donald, of Bad News for Refugees (Pluto, 2013).
Mike Berry is Lecturer in the Faculty of Arts, University of Nottingham and, with Greg Philo, is the author of Israel and Palestine: Competing Histories (Pluto, 2006) and More Bad News from Israel (Pluto, 2011).
Justin Schlosberg is a media activist, researcher and lecturer in Journalism and Media Studies at Birkbeck College, University of London. He is the author of Power Beyond Scrutiny (Pluto, 2013).
Antony Lerman is Senior Fellow at the Bruno Kreisky Forum for International Dialogue in Vienna and Honorary Fellow of the Parkes Institute for the Study of Jewish/non-Jewish Relations at Southampton University. He is the author of The Making and Unmaking of a Zionist: A Personal and Political Journey (Pluto, 2012) and editor of Do I Belong? (Pluto, 2017).
David Miller is Professor of Sociology in the Department of Social and Policy Sciences at the University of Bath. He is the co-editor of What is Islamophobia? (Pluto, 2017) and the author of Thinker, Faker, Spinner, Spy (Pluto, 2007) and A Century of Spin (Pluto, 2007).
1. Believe It or Not - Greg Philo and Mike Berry
2. Divisions and Competing Accounts - Greg Philo and Mike Berry
3. What Could Have Been Done and Why It Wasn't, and Will It End? - Greg Philo and Mike Berry
4. Media Coverage of the IHRA Definition and Its Adoption by the Labour Party - Justin Schlosberg
5. Weapons in the Labour Antisemitism Wars? The IHRA Working Definition and the Accusation of 'Institutional Antisemitism' - Antony Lerman
6. 'A' State of Israel or 'The' State of Israel: The Politics of the IHRA Definition - David Miller
Appendix: Timeline of Events - Mike Berry and Greg Philo
eBook ISBN: 9781786805720
129mm x 198mm