An Israeli in Palestine
Resisting Dispossession, Redeeming Israel
An Israeli in Palestine records Halper's journey 'beyond the membrane' that shields his people from the harsh realities of Palestinian life to his 'discovery' that he was actually living in another country: Palestine. Without dismissing the legitimacy of his own country, he realises that Israel is defined by its oppressive relationship to the Palestinians.
This second edition is includes an epilogue gauging the chances for peace after the failed Annapolis process.
Jeff Halper is the head of the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions (ICAHD) and a founding member of the One Democratic State Campaign. He is the author of War Against the People: Israel, the Palestinians and Global Pacification (Pluto, 2015), An Israeli in Palestine (Pluto, 2010), Obstacles to Peace (ICAHD, 2003 and subsequent editions) and Redemption and Revival: The Jewish Yishuv in Jerusalem in the Nineteenth Century (Westview, 1991).
Introduction: Getting It and Going There
Part I: Comprehending Oppression
1. The Making of a Critical Israeli
2. The Message of the Bulldozers
Part II: The Sources Of Oppression
3. The Impossible Dream: Constructing a Jewish Ethnocracy in Palestine
4. Dispossession (Nishul): Ethnocracy’s Handmaiden
5. The Narrative of Exodus
Part III: The Structure Of Oppression
6. Expanding Dispossession: The Occupation and the Matrix of Control
7. Concluding Dispossession: Oslo and Unilateral Separation
Part IV: Overcoming Oppression
8. Redeeming Israel
9. What About Terrorism?
10. Apartheid, Warehousing Or….
11. Where Do We Go From Here?
eBook ISBN: 9781783714162
135mm x 215mm