A lively survey of Fair Trade and the challenges facing it, written by some of the leading lights in the Fair Trade movement.
Fair Trade has come a long way in the last 20 years, celebrating one of the most successful social movements; the authors set their sights on their next goals. Emphasising the importance of ensuring that farmers and other producers remain the main beneficiaries; examining the tensions between large and small operators; the impact of a recession; changing environmental policy; and the danger of large operators embracing Fair Trade as a marketing exercise, rather than a practice: some of the leading lights of the Fair Trade movement assess Fair Trade's future.
With chapters from Executive Director of the Fairtrade Foundation Harriet Lamb, and the founder of the first Fair Trade Town, Bruce Crowther, this book will inspire activists and consumers to keep making fair choices.
John Bowes was chairman of Twin, a producer-owned membership organisation dedicated to developing the fair trade supply chain for coffee, nuts, cocoa, sugar and fruit farmers. He edited The Fair Trade Revolution (Pluto, 2010).
'Fairtrade has brought considerable benefits to millions of the poor, but is still in its infancy. This highly readable account will help Fairtrade to grow and for the benefits to spread to millions more' - John Madeley, co-author 50 Reasons to Buy Fair Trade
'Provides an insightful and important analysis of the development of the Fair Trade movement world wide, built around the experiences and perspectives of several of the key individuals who led the way' - Mary Robinson, from the foreword
1. A Brilliant Idea by John Bowes
PART 1 – PRODUCERS
2. The Impact of Fairtrade by Harriet Lamb
3. Rachel’s Blog by Rachel Archer
4. The Road to Freedom by Pedro Haslam and Nicholas Hoskyns
5. Heroes and Demons by Jeroen Kroezen
PART II - CONSUMERS
6. Campaigning for Justice by Joe Human and Bruce Crowther
7. A Glass and a Half Full by David Croft and Alex Cole
8. Honesty Openness and Social Responsibility by John Bowes
9. Banana Breakthrough by Matt North
PART III – FUTURE CHALLENGES
10. The Greatest Challenge by Jonathan Rosenthal
11. Tricky Waters by Tomy Mathew
12. Scale without Compromise by Harriet Lamb
13. Raising the Bar or Redirecting the Flood by Robin Murray
14. When the Rain Stops by John Bowes
Notes on Contributors
eBook ISBN: 9781783713905
129mm x 198mm