Complacency and Collusion
A Critical Introduction to Business and Financial Journalism
A critical look at financial and business journalism and how it has suffered a loss of independence and agency due to corporate pressure.
The growing passivity and changing bias of Western journalists is widely acknowledged. Across the media, in newspapers, TV, media and the internet, journalism is increasingly hollowed out by writers who are no longer gathering news but rather churning out unsourced information, PR texts and online snippets. Behind this dubious practice is an increasingly invested corporate sector whose stake in the mainstream media as a mouthpiece has exponentially increased in the last few decades.
The book cuts through the misreporting that has occurred since the financial crisis and makes clear the inadequacies of articles in prestigious papers and magazines, such as the Economist and Financial Times. It reflects on what the growth and spread of complacent corporate journalism will mean for the future of a free media.
Keith J. Butterick is director of the Huddersfield Centre for Communication and Consultation Research at the University of Huddersfield and the author of Introducing Public Relations Theory and Practice (Sage, 2011) and Complacency and Collusion (Pluto, 2015). He is an award winning business journalist, magazine editor and former director of a financial Public Relations consultancy.
1. The Origins of Business Reporting and Early Crises
2. The Economist, The Times and Railway Mania
3. New Journalism, the Daily Mail and Charles Duguid
4. Harry Marks, Financial News and the Financial Times
5. The Crash of 1929 and Keynes
6. The Emergence of Modern Financial Journalism
7. The 2008 Financial Crisis
8. The Structure of Modern Financial and Business Journalism
9. Ideology, Business Discourse, News Values
10. Financial Communication and Financial PR
11. Financial Journalism: Its Role in the Creation of Economic Paradigms
12. The Future of Financial and Business Journalism
eBook ISBN: 9781849648370
135mm x 215mm