The US, Geopolitics and Grand Strategies
International analysts and commentators consider Pakistan's position in the global geo-political order.
Whereas standard accounts focus on the US-Pakistan relationship in isolation, Pakistan: The US, Geopolitics and Grand Strategies provides a broader geopolitical perspective. It analyses Pakistan's relations with the US after a decade of the war on terror as well as Pakistan's regional relations, which provides the reader with a comprehensive understanding of Pakistan's interests.
Contributions from experts in both Pakistan and the West make this book vital reading for anyone seeking to understand this troubled nation.
Usama Butt is a London-based academic specialising in Pakistan and Islamism. He is the co-editor of Pakistan: The US, Geopolitics and Grand Strategies (Pluto, 2012) and Pakistan's Quagmire: Security, Strategy, and the Future of the Islamic-nuclear Nation (2010).
Julian Schofield is an Associate Professor of Political Science at Concordia University, Canada. He has been a key advisor to the Canadian government and intelligence services on Pakistan. He is the author of Militarization and War (2007).
'This deeply-researched, well-thought-out and comprehensive book makes an important contribution to our understanding of Pakistani policy and the vexed subject of US-Pakistani relations' - Anatol Lieven, Professor of War Studies at King's College London and author of Pakistan: A Hard Country
'This wide-ranging study by scholars from diverse backgrounds provides much-needed analysis of the wider context. It is a singularly valuable contribution to a field of study all too often dominated by a particular national orientation' - Paul Rogers, Professor of Peace Studies, University of Bradford
Part I: Pakistan-US Relations
1. Changing dynamics: Islamic Orientation of the Pakistani State & the Islamic Reaction of the Masses, in the World of ‘Terror’, by Usama Butt
2. When Realities Collide: Differing U.S.-Pakistan Threat Perceptions, by Michael Rubin
3. The Influence of Domestic Politics on the Making of US-Pakistan Foreign Policy, by Mariam Mufti
4. Pakistan, Afghanistan & US: A Triangle of Distrust, by Nasir Islam
5. Pakistan's Quest for Security and Survival and US-Pakistan Relations, by Shamshad Ahmad
6. The Fallout of US Af-Pak Strategy on Current and Future US-Pak Relations, by Ishtiaq Ahmed
Part II: Pakistan’s Foreign Relations
7. China-Pakistan Relations and the War on Terror, by Julian Schofield
8. US-Pakistan Relations in Regional Perspective: Shifting Perspectives from the Arab-Gulf & the Role of the EU, by Christian Koch
9. Pakistan-Saudi relations: an Assessment, by Gawdat Bhagat
10. Pakistan & Iran: A Relation in search of meaning, by Harsh V. Pant
11. Nuclear Question: Nuclear Security and the US & Western Concerns, by Shaista Tabassum
Epilogue, by Usama Butt and Julian Schofield
Hardcover ISBN: 9780745332079
eBook ISBN: 9781849646444
135mm x 215mm