Weapon of the Strong
Conversations on US State Terrorism
Chomsky, Butler, Finkelstein and other leading commentators discuss state terrorism.
lyses the forms of US state terrorism through exclusive, never before published interviews with leading commentators and theorists, including Noam Chomsky, Edward S. Herman, Richard A. Falk, Judith Butler, Ted Honderich, Norman Finkelstein and Gilbert Achcar. The interviews explore the different aspects of state terrorism: its functions, institutional supports and the legal and moral arguments surrounding it, and consider specific case studies in Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Weapon of the Strong makes an indispensable contribution to contemporary debates on terrorism and constructs a damning critique of US foreign policy from World War Two to the present day.
Jon Bailes is a co-founding editor of the online political journal State of Nature.
Cihan Aksan is a co-founding editor of the online political journal State of Nature.
'Nuanced and uncompromising, the interviewers have posed some of the most penetrating and important questions of our time. The answers received will change forever the way we think about terror' - Professor Penny Green, King's College London, Director of the International State Crime Initiative (ISCI) and co-author of State Crime: Governments, Violence and Corruption (Pluto 2004)
'A wide range of compelling topics are expertly explored by leading academics. Each is skilfully interviewed by Cihan Aksan and Jon Bailes who also provide an excellent introduction. A job well done' - Michael Parenti
2. Noam Chomsky: The Definition of Terrorism
3. Richard A. Falk: International Law and Human Rights
4. Marjorie Cohn: Torture as Terrorism
5. Ted Honderich: Morality, Justification, and Responsibility
6. Edward S. Herman: The Media Image of Terrorism
7. Judith Butler: The Discourse of Terror
8. Richard Jackson: Terrorism Studies and Academia
9. Patrick Bond: International Financial Institutions and the Economics of Terrorism
10. Ismael Hossein-zadeh: The Guiding Force of US Militarism
11. Gilbert Achcar: The United States in the Middle East
12. Norman G. Finkelstein: US Support for Israeli State Terror
13. Greg Grandin: The United States in Latin America
14. Daniele Ganser: NATO’s Secret Armies in Europe
Hardcover ISBN: 9780745332420
eBook ISBN: 9781849647953
129mm x 198mm