The Anarchist Turn
In the last few decades the negative caricature of anarchy has begun to crack. As free market states and state socialism preserve social hierarchies and remain apathetic on matters of inequality, globalisation and the social movements it spawned have proved what anarchists have long been advocating: an anarchical order is not just desirable, but also feasible.
A number of high profile contributors, including Judith Butler, Simon Critchley, Cinzia Arruzza and Alberto Toscano, discuss the anarchist hypothesis, referencing its many historical and geographical variants and analysing its relationship to feminism, politics, economics, history and sociology.
Jacob Blumenfeld is a researcher in Philosophy at the New School for Social Research, New York. He has taught at various schools in the City University of New York. He is the author of The Anarchist Turn (Pluto, 2013).
Chiara Bottici teaches Philosophy at the New School for Social Research, New York. Her publications include A Philosophy of Political Myth (CUP, 2010), Men and States (Palgrave, 2009) and The Anarchist Turn (Pluto, 2013).
Simon Critchley teaches Philosophy at the New School for Social Research, New York. He is the author of many books including The Faith of the Faithless (Verso, 2012), Impossible Objects (Polity Press, 2011), The Book of Dead Philosophers (Granta, 2008) and The Anarchist Turn (Pluto, 2013).
I. SUBVERTING BOUNDARIES
1. Black and Red: The Freedom of Equals, Chiara Bottici
2. The Politics of Commensality, Banu Bargu
3. Friendship as Resistance, Todd May
4. An-archy between Metapolitics and Politics¸ Miguel Abensour
II. PAINT IT PINK: ANARCHISM AND FEMINISM
5. Subverting Patriarchy, Subverting Politics: Anarchism as a Practice of Caring, by Mitchell Cowen Verter
6. Of What is Anarcha-feminism the Name?, Cinzia Arruzza
7. Black, Red, Pink and Green. Breaking Boundaries, Building Bridges, Laura Corradi
III. GEOGRAPHIES OF ANARCHY
8. The Anarchist Geography of No-Place, Stephen Duncombe
9. The Fighting Ground, Alberto Toscano
10. Reiner Schürmann’s Faultline Topology, Stephanie Wakefield
IV. THE ANARCHIST MOMENT
11. The Anarchist Moment, Andrej Gruba i
12. Palestine, State Politics and the Anarchist Impasse, Judith Butler
13. Spread Anarchy, Live Communism, The Alleged Authors of The Coming Insurrection
14. Postface on Occupation and Revolution, Jacob Blumenfeld
Hardcover ISBN: 9780745333434
eBook ISBN: 9781849648554
135mm x 215mm