Behind Closed Doors
Sex Education Transformed
When it comes to sex education, the personal is political.
Fear-mongering, moral panic and outdated attitudes prevail, but if #MeToo has taught us anything, it's how dangerous it is to keep conversations about sex hidden from view. Behind Closed Doors invests in a radical, inclusive and honest sex education, taking us beyond learning about the 'birds and the bees', to identifying inequality that stands in the way of sexual freedom.
From contraceptives to virginity, consent to pornography, transphobia to sexual abuse, the book shows how our desires are influenced by powerful political processes that can be transformed.
Natalie Fiennes is a journalist and filmmaker. She teaches sex education and consent classes in schools, universities, and youth centres around the UK. She has written for the Guardian and the Independent.
'This is a game changer. Fiennes has brought brilliant clarity to a subject that's usually either shrouded in mystery and taboo, or obscured by the dazzle of a porn set. It's radical, inclusive and bold and everyone should read it' - Olivia Sudjic, author of 'Exposure' (2018)
'An intersectional and intelligent attempt to rewind sex education orthodoxies and reintroduce sex as political. Fiennes eloquently weaves together points on identity, relationships, politics and culture, and torches Tory policies in the process' - Lily Madigan, Labour Party women's officer
'Brilliant, entertaining and progressive sex ed' - Stoya
1. Sex: I Am Fast
2. Gender Identity: Changing Rooms
3. Masculinity: Trump's Button
4. Body Image: From Scrawny to Brawny
5. Sexual Consent: No Means No
6. Contraceptives: 'If You Have Sex You Will Get Pregnant and Die'
7. Virginity: Purity
8. Sexual Violence: 'Abuse of Power Comes as No Surprise'
10. Sexuality: From Stonewall to Yarl's Wood
11. Pornography: Sex Education Today
12. Sex Work: The Oldest Job in the World
13. Relationships: Just Swipe Right
eBook ISBN: 9781786805003
129mm x 198mm