Radical Geographies of Education
Series: Radical Geography
Shines a light on how modern education shapes students into becoming compliant workers.
Mitchell looks at the formation of student identity and allegiance –as well as spaces of resistance. She investigates the transition to educational narratives emphasising flexibility and strategic global entrepreneurialism and examines the role of education in a broader political project of producing new generations of economically insecure but compliant workers.
Scrutinising the impact of an influx of new actors, practices and policies, Mitchell argues that public education is the latest institution to embrace the neoliberal logic of 'choice' – pertaining to schools, faculty, and curricula – that, if unchallenged, will lead to further incursions of the market and increased socioeconomic inequality.
Katharyne Mitchell is Dean of the Division of Social Sciences at the University of California, Santa Cruz. She is author and editor of several books, including Practicising Public Scholarship (2008).
'Katharyne Mitchell's <em>Making Workers</em> is an exemplary analysis of the structural forces, networks, discourses, and practices shaping educational systems from compulsory education through to higher education, including life-long learning. Given the importance of education systems to the production of citizens as well as the work-force, Mitchell’s book is a must-read for all interested in the future of economy and society'<br> - Kris Olds, Professor, Department of Geography, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Part I: Geographies of Work and Education
1. Uneven Development, Divisons of Labor, and the Search for Jobs
2. Creating the Entrepreneurial Child
Part II: Flexible Work, Strategic Workers
3. From Multicultural Citizen to Global Businessman
4. Geographies of Life-long Learning and the Knowledge Economy - Katharyne Mitchell with Key MacFarlane
5. Global Restructuring and Challenges to Citizenship
Part III: The Reform Coalition
6. Market Philanthropy in Education
7. The Choice Machine and the Road to Privatization - Katharyne Mitchell with Key MacFarlane
Part IV: Geographies of Resistance, Acts of Citizenship
8. Taking Back our Schools and Cities
9. Conclusion: Paying Deep Attention
Hardcover ISBN: 9780745399874
eBook ISBN: 9781786801333
135mm x 215mm