China's Global Strategy
Towards a Multipolar World
Many people assume that China will follow an imperialistic strategy and stand in direct conflict with the American empire. However, China is in fact taking a multilateral approach, offering real assistance to developing countries and helping to build the institutions required to run a multipolar world.
Whist acknowledging China's own internal difficulties, the book argues that its international consensus-building could lead to a more peaceful and equitable world.
Jenny Clegg is a Senior Lecturer in International Studies, and a China specialist, at the University of Central Lancashire. She first visited China in the 1970s and has followed developments closely ever since, she is the author of China's Global Strategy (Pluto, 2009).
1. A World Turning Upside Down
Part 1: The Unipolar-Multipolar Dynamics
2. US-China relations in the global dynamics
3. Historical Perspectives on Multipolarisation
4. Manoeuvring towards Multipolarity
5. Globalisation, Imperialism and Multipolarisation
6. Promoting Multipolarisation: Regional Organisation In Asia
Part 2: China's Development Trajectory
7. Maintaining Self Reliance in an Interdependent World
8. Development with Chinese Characteristics
Part 3: An International Trial of Strength
9. Towards a New International Political Order
10. Towards a new international economic order
11. A Game of Go
Abbreviations and Acronyms
Read on any device