Reclaiming the State
A Progressive Vision of Sovereignty for a Post-Neoliberal World
A provocative economic analysis which reconceptualises the nation state as a vehicle for progressive change.
In response to these challenging times, economist William Mitchell and political theorist Thomas Fazi reconceptualise the nation state as a vehicle for progressive change. They show how despite the ravages of neoliberalism, the state still contains resources for democratic control of a nation's economy and finances. The populist turn provides an opening to develop an ambitious but feasible left political strategy.
Reclaiming the State offers an urgent, provocative and prescient political analysis of our current predicament, and lays out a comprehensive strategy for revitalising progressive economics in the 21st century.
William Mitchell is Professor of Economics and Director of the Centre of Full Employment and Equity at the University of Newcastle, Australia. He is the author of various books including Eurozone Dystopia (Elgar, 2015) and Reclaiming the State (Pluto, 2017). He is considered one of the world's leading heterodox economists and his ideas have been adopted by the Labour Party.
Thomas Fazi is a writer, journalist, translator and researcher. His articles have appeared in numerous publications. He is the author of The Battle for Europe (Pluto, 2014) and Reclaiming the State (Pluto, 2017), co-authored with William Mitchell.
'Prepare to be blown away and forget what you think you knew about money' - Independent
'Important... An essential building-block for a constructive debate on a post-Brexit democratic politics' - Wolfgang Streeck, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies, Cologne
'Fascinating' - Heiner Flassbeck, Heiner Flassbeck, former German Vice-minister for Finance
'Mitchell and Fazi convincingly show that the state continues to be at this critical point of history an unavoidable bottleneck... which ought to be reclaimed and subverted if we are to transform societies to the benefit of the peoples' - Sergi Cutillas, Economist and Researcher
'Essential reading for anyone who wants to understand the Corbyn phenomenon in the UK' - Eurointelligence
Part One: The Great Transformation Redux: From Keynesianism To Neoliberalism – And Beyond
1. Broken Paradise: A Critical Assessment of the Keynesian ‘Full Employment’ Era
2. Destined to Fail: Understanding the Crisis of Keynesianism and the Rise of Neoliberalism
3. That Option No Longer Exists: How Britain – and the British Labour Party – Fell into the Monetarist Trap (late 1960s-late 1970s)
4. The Paris Consensus: the French Left and the Creation of Neoliberal Europe (1981-1995)
5. The State Never Went Away: Neoliberalism as a State-driven Project
6. Après elle, le déluge: Are we Entering a Post-neoliberal Age?
Part Two: A Progressive Strategy For The 21st Century
7. Towards a Progressive Vision of Sovereignty
8. A Currency-issuing Government is Not Like a Household: an Introduction to Modern Monetary Theory
9. I Have a Job For You: Why a Job Guarantee is Better Than a Basic Income
10. We Have a (Central) Plan: the Case for Re-nationalisation
Hardcover ISBN: 9780745337333
eBook ISBN: 9781786801494
Read on any device