Broken Promises, Broken Dreams
Stories of Jewish and Palestinian Trauma and Resilience
This book records the journey of a Jewish American physician travelling and working within Israel and the Occupied Territories. Alice Rothchild grew up in a family grounded by the traumas of the Holocaust and passionately devoted to Israel. This book recounts her experiences as she grapples with the reality of life in Israel and the hardships of Palestinians living in the West Bank and Gaza.
The new edition includes a new preface, two chapters on Israeli dissent and a chapter which explores the impact of a Palestinian home demolition and the work of Israeli soldiers and Palestinian fighters who have joined together to form Combatants for Peace.
Ultimately, the book raises troubling questions regarding US policy and the mainstream Jewish community's insistence on giving unquestioning support to all Israeli policy.
Alice Rothchild is a physician, author, and filmmaker who has focused her interest in human rights and social justice on Israel/Palestine. She is the author of Broken Promises, Broken Dreams (Pluto, 2010), On the Brink: Israel and Palestine on the Eve of the 2014 Gaza Invasion (Just World Books, 2014), and Condition Critical: Life and Death in Israel/Palestine (Just World Books, 2017).
Preface to First Edition
Jewish Voices from Israel and the Diaspora
1. My Own Story: Family Secrets
2. Dr. Ruchama Marton: An Allergy to Lies
3. Professor Daniel Bar-Tal: Danny! Think About It!
4. Angela Godfrey-Goldstein: Avodah Kodesh
Palestinian Trauma, Resilience and Resistance
5. Checkpoints: Crossing the Line
6. Visiting the Mythaloon Maternity Home: Like Women
7. A Day in Nablus with Dr. Allam Jarrar: We Will Have
8. Restrictions on Access to Health Care: We Are Not
9. A Visit to Gaza: Working in a War Zone
10. Visiting Rafah: Just the Bad Face
11. Military Occupation: Samoud and Sorrow
The Implications of Knowing : Complicity and Dissent
12. Finding the Voice for a Just Peace: Seeing the Human Face
Brief Time Line
References and Websites
eBook ISBN: 9781783714148
150mm x 230mm