The Palestinian Refugee Problem
The Search for a Resolution
Each paper develops an array of policy options for resolving various aspects of the refugee issue. From moral acknowledgements of the plight of refugees, to host countries, repatriation and reparations, each policy analysis is written to provide a broad menu of choices rather than a single narrow set of recommendations.
No other work on the Palestinian refugee issue has undertaken such a task. The Palestinian Refugee Problem: The Search for a Resolution is likely to be a pre-eminent reference and analytical work on the topic for many years to come.
Rex Brynen is Professor of Political Science at McGill University. He has served as a consultant for various governments, the World Bank and the UN. He is author, editor, or coeditor of several books on Palestinian and Middle East politics, including The Palestinian Refugee Problem (Pluto, 2013) and Compensation to Palestinian Refugees and the Search for Palestinian-Israeli Peace (Pluto, 2013).
Roula El-Rifai is a senior programme specialist with the Middle East Unit and the Governance, Security and Justice Programme Initiative at the International Development Research Centre in Ottawa. She is the co-editor of The Palestinian Refugee Problem (Pluto, 2013) and Compensation to Palestinian Refugees and the Search for Palestinian-Israeli Peace (Pluto, 2013).
Preface and Acknowledgements
1. Research, Policy and Negotiations and Resolving the Palestinian Refugee Problem by Rex Brynen and Roula El-Rifai
2. Implementation Mechanism: Policy Choices and Implementation Issues by Norbert Wühler and Heike Niebergall
3. Whither UNRWA? by Liana Brooks–Rubin
4. Return, Repatriation, Residency and Resettlement by Rex Brynen
5. An Offer They Can Refuse: Host countries and a Palestinian-Israeli Agreement on Refugees by Roula El-Rifai and Nadim Shehadi
6. Refugee Compensation: Policy Choices and Implementation Issues by Heike Niebergall and Norbert Wühler
7. Addressing Jewish Claims in the Context of a Palestinian-Israeli Agreement by Michael Fischbach
8. Refugee Absorption and Development by Rex Brynen
9. Intangible Needs, Moral Acknowledgement and the Palestinian Refugee Issue by Michael Molloy, John Bell with Nicole Waintraub, Ian Anderson
10. Managing Refugee Expectations by Khalil Shikaki
11. A Never ending End to Claims by Geoffrey Aronson
eBook ISBN: 9781849648202
135mm x 215mm