The Anthropology of Security
Perspectives from the Frontline of Policing, Counter-terrorism and Border Control
The book shows how contemporary Europe is now home to a vast security industry which uses biometric identification systems, CCTV and quasi-military techniques to police migrants and disadvantaged neighbourhoods. This is the first collection of anthropological studies of security with a particular but not exclusive emphasis on Europe.
The Anthropology of Security draws together studies on the lived experiences of security and policing from the perspective of those most affected in their everyday lives. The anthropological perspectives in this volume stretch from the frontlines of policing and counter-terrorism to border control.
Mark Maguire is Head of Anthropology at the National University of Ireland Maynooth. He is co-author of The Anthropology of Security: Perspectives from the Frontline of Policing, Counter-terrorism and Border Control (Pluto, 2014).
Catarina Frois is Assistant Professor at the Department of Anthropology, Lisbon University. She is co-author of The Anthropology of Security: Perspectives from the Frontline of Policing, Counter-terrorism and Border Control (Pluto, 2014).
Nils Zurawski is Visiting Professor in Security, Social Conflicts and Regulation at the University of Hamburg. He is co-author of The Anthropology of Security: Perspectives from the Frontline of Policing, Counter-terrorism and Border Control (Pluto, 2014).
Introduction: The Anthropology of Security: Prospects, Retrospects and Aims
1. Sarkozy and Roma: Performing Securitisation - Marion Demossier
2. Video-Surveillance and the Political Use of Discretionary Power in the Name of Security and Defence - Catarina Frois
3. Location, Isolation and Disempowerment: The Swift Proliferation of Security Discourse among Policy Professionals - Greg Feldman
4. Compensating (In)Security: Anthropological Perspectives on Internal Security - Alexandra Schwell
5. Petty States of Exception: The Contemporary Policing of the Urban Poor - Didier Fassin
6. Counter-Terrorism in European Airports - Mark Maguire
7. Whose Security? The Deportation of Foreign-National Offenders from the U.K. - Ines Hasselberg
8. Grey Zones of Illegality: Inhuman Conditions in Receiving Irregular Migrants in Greece - Jutta Lauth Bacas
Afterword: Security: Encounters, Misunderstanding and Possible Collaborations - Didier Bigo
eBook ISBN: 9781783711635
135mm x 215mm