Authoritarian Capitalism in the Age of Trump and Twitter
This book delves into new political-economic structures as expressed through political communication to explain the rise of authoritarian capitalism, nationalism and right-wing ideology throughout the world. Christian Fuchs does this through updating Marxist theory and the Frankfurt School's critical theory. He re-invigorates the works on authoritarianism of Franz L. Neumann, Theodor W. Adorno, Erich Fromm, Herbert Marcuse, Max Horkheimer, Wilhelm Reich, Leo Lowenthal and Klaus Theweleit in the age of Trump and Twitter.
In the age of big data and social media, Digital Demagogue studies the expressions of ideology, nationalism and authoritarianism today and discusses prospects for overcoming capitalism and renewing the Left.
Christian Fuchs is a leading critical theorist of communication and society. He is a Professor at the University of Westminster, co-editor of the open access journal tripleC: Communication, Capitalism and Critique, and the author of Digital Demagogue (Pluto, 2018) and Social Media: A Critical Introduction (Sage, 2017) amongst other works.
List of Tables
2. Ideology, Nationalism and Fascism
3. Right-Wing Authoritarianism and Authoritarian Capitalism
4. Trumpism: Donald Trump and Authoritarian-Capitalist Statism
5. Trumpology: Donald Trump’s Ideology
6. Trump and Twitter: Authoritarian-Capitalist Ideology on Social Media
7. Conclusion: Authoritarian Communicative Capitalism and its Alternatives
Hardcover ISBN: 9780745337982
eBook ISBN: 9781786802828
135mm x 215mm